Today we are catching up with our most recent interior remodeling job that just began construction.
The customers are a couple that owns a condo in the heart of downtown Chicago, and they are having their master bathroom remodeled with us. It was the second week on the job for our crew of subcontractors, who began demolition on the bathroom. Meagan, one of our bathroom designers, went down to the site to see how things were going and brought back some stories, photos, and some delicious pastries that the customers brought back from a recent trip to Texas.
About the Customers
The K’s are great customers who came to Archway Home Remodeling after seeing our ad in the local newspaper. They bought the condo 3 years ago before having to move to Australia for work. Until recently, their daughter had been living in the unit, but they are back in it now that they have returned from the land down under. Realizing that their bathroom was bland and outdated, they decided to come into our showroom and see what we could do for them. We were delighted to meet them because they are some of the sweetest customers we’ve ever had, and many of us in the office want to adopt them as our surrogate parents or grandparents. They are a lot of fun to work with!
Bathroom Makeover – Scope of Work
For this particular renovation, the scope of work is pretty straightforward and is standard for most bathroom remodeling projects, especially those done in high-rise condos. Here’s what the customers and our remodeling team have in store for them.
Primary Bathroom Demolition and Preparation:
• Gut and Demo existing bathroom including walls where necessary
• Demo existing floor and wall tile.
• Prepare subfloor and walls of shower area with Durock® cement board
• Repair/replace drywall where necessary – then patch, tape, sand and prime all surfaces
Electrical and Plumbing:
• Install new plumbing supply to accommodate new shower valve and shower head
• Per building requirement – Install new “local” shut off valves
• Replace P-trap for the sink
• Install new wax ring for the new toilet
• Per plan – locate power for lighting above mirrors
Fixture and Finish Installation:
• Install new tile floor
• Install new tile (all the way to the ceiling) for the perimeter walls of the shower space only
• Install custom rubber membrane shower base
• Install marble threshold & curb
• Install new custom frameless shower door
• Install new Toilet
• Install new bathroom vanity
• Install marble countertop
• Install 2 under mount Kohler sinks
• Install 2 bathroom faucets
• Install new shower head and trim valve in shower area
• Install new light fixtures above mirrors
• Install all bathroom accessories to include towel bars and toilet paper holder
Bathroom Before Photos
Here are some photos of the master bathroom that the customers have been living with for years…until now!
We can’t wait to show you the progress of this bathroom upgrade because it’s going to be quite the transformation. The materials that the customers picked out are much more modern and clean than what they have been living with, and our team is ready to do a beautiful job for them. Here is a look at the materials they picked out:
- Simple white shaker style doors for the vanity
- Porcelain wall and shower tile that has the look of Calacatta marble
- Emperador Dark marble countertop
Bathroom After Photos (Pre-construction design renderings):
Bookmark this post and come back for more updates, photos and more!